Booking a confirmed train ticket on the Indian Railways can often be a daunting task, especially when it comes to last-minute bookings. However, with the Tatkal booking scheme, IRCTC allows travellers to book train seats even a day before their journey. Under this scheme, passengers can book tickets across train berths for immediate or emergency train bookings through the IRCTC website or mobile app, making it a convenient option for travellers.
Nonetheless, due to the high demand and limited availability of Tatkal tickets, the booking process can be challenging. IRCTC opens the booking window for Tatkal tickets one day before the start date of the journey of the train from its origin station, which means that seats are limited, and the time slot is restricted, making it difficult to get a confirmed ticket.
If you are also planning a last-minute trip and want to book a confirmed train ticket, here are steps to book the tickets and tips which will help you get a confirmed train ticket.
IRCTC Tatkal ticket timing
The booking window for AC class tickets (2A/3A/CC/EC/3E) opens at 10:00 AM, whereas Tatkal tickets for non-AC class (SL/FC/2S) can be booked from 11:00 AM onwards.
IRCTC levies an additional fee for Tatkal bookings as it has to reserve seats for the scheme. Therefore, the cost of Tatkal tickets is higher than regular tickets. For instance, if a regular ticket costs Rs. 900, a Tatkal ticket for the same journey may cost around Rs. 1300. The additional charges for Tatkal tickets are based on a percentage of the basic fare, which is 30 per cent for all travel classes except for second class (sitting), which has a fixed rate of 10 per cent.
Book Tatkal train tickets online through IRCTC website
- Go to the IRCTC website- irctc.co.in.
- Log in using your IRCTC user ID and password. If you do not have an account, click on the “Sign Up” button and follow the instructions to create one.
- Click on the “Book Ticket” option.
- Select the “Tatkal” booking option and fill in all the required details, including the source and destination stations, travel date, train, and class.
- Enter the passenger details for the booking.
- You can also select a berth preference, but keep in mind that lower berths are generally given to elderly passengers.
- Review the fare and other details, and then proceed to the payment page.
- Choose a payment option, such as credit card, debit card, net banking, UPI, or other available options.
- Confirm the booking details and make the payment.
- After successful payment, download the e-ticket.
Book Tatkal train tickets online through IRCTC app
- Download and install the IRCTC app on your smartphone.
- Log in to your IRCTC account through the app.
- Select the “Tatkal Booking” option.
- Choose your train and travel date.
- Fill in the required passenger details.
- Select your desired seat class and berth type.
- Review the fare details and confirm the booking.
- Proceed to make payment for the ticket using a credit card, debit card, or net banking.
- Check the payment status and wait for the confirmation.
- Once the payment is confirmed, download the ticket from the app.
Tips to get tips to get confirmed Tatkal ticket
Book in advance: The earlier you book your ticket, the more chances of getting a confirmed seat on the train. So, if you want to book a confirmed tatkal ticket then book at least two days before the date of departure or even earlier than that.
Use multiple devices: If you have multiple devices, such as a computer, laptop, or smartphone, use them all to book your ticket. This will increase your chances of getting a confirmed ticket as you will be able to book faster.
Be prepared: Keep all your personal details, as well as those of your co-passengers, handy to save time while filling in the booking form.
Use a fast internet connection: A fast internet connection will help you book your ticket faster. So, make sure you have a good internet connection before you start booking your ticket.
Choose less popular trains: Try to book Tatkal tickets on less popular trains or those with a lower demand to increase your chances of getting a confirmed ticket.
Be flexible with your travel dates: If possible, try to be flexible with your travel dates and book your tickets on weekdays instead of weekends, as weekends usually have a higher demand.
Select lower berths: While booking your ticket, try to opt for lower berths as they are usually given preference to senior citizens and can increase your chances of getting a confirmed ticket.
Be patient: It may take a few tries before you are able to book a confirmed tatkal ticket. So, don’t give up if you don’t get a confirmed ticket on the first try. Just keep trying and you will eventually get a confirmed ticket.
Read the latest and breaking Hindi news | English News on अब पाएं सबसे निष्पक्ष, विश्वसनीय और तेज खबरें, सिर्फ THE INSIGHT TODAY पर . Get live Hindi news about India and the World from politics, sports, bollywood, business, cities, lifestyle, astrology, spirituality, jobs and much more..
Read Latest News on your Mobile app so Download Mobile app The Insight Tod